Recipe of the week - Oatmeal blueberry walnut muffins
Makes 12 muffins Ingredients
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) packed brown sugar
- 1 omega-3 enriched egg or regular egg
- 2 egg whites
- 250 mL (1 cup) oat bran
- 250 mL (1 cup) large flake oatmeal
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) 1% milk
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 175 mL (3/4 cup) whole wheat flour
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) ground walnuts
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 250 mL (1 cup) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 50 mL (1/4 cup) large flake oatmeal
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) chopped toasted walnuts
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) whole-wheat flour
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) soft non-hydrogenated margarine
1. In large bowl, stir together margarine and brown sugar until combined. Add egg, and egg whites, one at a time and stir until smooth. Add oat bran and oatmeal. Pour in milk and stir until moistened. Stir in vanilla.
2. In another bowl, whisk together flour, ground walnuts, baking powder and soda. Add gradually to margarine mixture and stir until almost all combined. Add blueberries and fold until well distributed.
3. Scoop out muffin batter into 12 muffin cups; set aside.
4. Oatmeal Crumble: In small bowl, stir together oatmeal, walnuts and flour. Using small spoon, mix margarine into the oatmeal mixture until combined. Gently press some of the crumble mixture on top of each muffin.
5. Bake in 200°C (400ºF) oven for about 20 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.