Recipe of the week - Blueberry Orange Muffins Bursting with blueberries and the fresh taste of orange, these muffins are a terrific start to the day accompanied by a smoothie.
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) 1% milk (approx.)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) each, all-purpose and whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger or cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) blueberries, frozen or fresh
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 12-cup non-stick muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a 2-cup (500 mL) liquid measuring cup, combine milk, orange zest and enough juice to measure 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) (add more milk if necessary). In a large bowl, combine all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, ginger and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together milk mixture, sugar, egg and oil. Stir blueberries into dry ingredients just until coated. Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
3. Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.