Recipe of the Week - Ginger-Lime Kale with Squash & Chickpeas
Vegetarian this week! Roasting butternut squash enhances its creamy texture. With a tart and tangy combination of ginger, garlic and lime, this dish boasts immune-boosting benefits plus a zesty flavor profile, providing a quick pick-me-up in cooler weather.
Serves: 4 Hands-on time: 50 minutes Total time: 1 hour
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash, peeled and seeded (cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
- 8 cups thinly sliced kale leaves
- 1 1/2 cups organic canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (TIP: Opt for BPA-free canned beans such as Eden Organic.)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- Preheat oven to 400 F. In a medium bowl, toss squash with 1/2 tbsp oil. Spread squash onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes, or until squash is fork tender and lightly browned. Remove squash from oven and let cool.
- Heat a wide and deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to coat skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, stirring for 30 seconds. Add kale, stirring for 1 minute until kale begins to wilt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add chickpeas and stir, then cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until chickpeas are heated through. Remove pan from heat and add squash, lime juice and salt. Transfer mixture to large serving bowl and sprinkle with pomegranate arils. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 278, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 05 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
From: Clean Eating Recipes