This vegetable and chickpea couscous fills you up without filling you out. Chickpeas are high in fibre and iron, and the prunes add a hint of natural sweetness, which makes this all-in-one dish feel indulgent.
- Prep time45 minutes
- Total time45 minutes
- Portion size6
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 ribs celery, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups (1 L) cauliflower florets
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pitted prunes, halved
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) whole wheat couscous
- 4 cups (1 L) lightly packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
To change the number of servings, enter the number, then press "calculate".Serving CalculatorCalculateor reset
In Dutch oven or large heavybottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
Add 1-1/4 cups water, broth, celery and carrot; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until celery is softened, about 15 minutes.
Stir in cauliflower, chickpeas, prunes, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir couscous with 1-1/3 cups boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork.
Stir spinach and lemon juice into cauliflower mixture; cook just until spinach is wilted. Serve over couscous; sprinkle with almonds.
Additional information :
Change It Up
Moroccan Chicken and Vegetable Couscous
Cut 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Brush nonstick skillet lightly with vegetable oil; cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink inside. Add to vegetable mixture along with cauliflower.
Nutritional Information Per serving: about
cal: 343 pro: 13g total fat: 6gsat. fat 1g
carb: 65g dietary fibre: 14g sugar: 13g chol: 1mg
sodium: 554mg potassium: 642mg
calcium: 10 iron: 29 vit A: 50 vit C 62 folate: 51