Pillowy homemade gnocchi look so sophisticated; it can be your secret how easy they are to make. For a pretty garnish, top the finished dish with a few curls of shaved Parmesan cheese.
Prep time 30 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
Portion size 4 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 baby golden beets, (about 2 inches/5 cm diameter),peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed chopped beet greens
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) chopped walnuts, toasted
- Pinch salt
- 1 tub (475 g) extra-smooth light ricotta cheese
- 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
To change the number of servings, enter the number, then press "calculate".Serving CalculatorCalculateor reset
- Ricotta Gnocchi: In bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, flour, eggs, Parmesan cheese and salt to make ragged dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; divide into quarters. Working with one quarter at a time, with floured hands, roll dough into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick rope; cut crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) long pieces. Set aside on floured waxed paper–lined baking sheet.
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi, in batches, until floating and no longer doughy in centre, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate. Set aside; keep warm.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, stirring, until fragrant and light golden, about 1 minute. Stir in beets; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp, about 8 minutes. Stir in beet greens, reserved gnocchi, walnuts and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are wilted and gnocchi are warmed through, about 2 minutes.