When the honey boils down, it gets thick, syrupy and surprisingly less sticky. You can add nuts to these bars if you like – just substitute 1/2 cup of them for the pumpkin seeds.
- Prep time15 minutes
- Total time45 minutes
- Portion size24 bars
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sesame seeds
- 4 cups (1 L) puffed brown rice cereal
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt or kosher salt
To change the number of servings, enter the number, then press "calculate".Serving CalculatorCalculateor reset
Spread sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until lightly toasted, about 6 minutes. Let cool. Transfer to large well-greased bowl; add puffed brown rice cereal and cranberries.
In large saucepan, boil honey with salt over medium heat, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Stir into puffed rice mixture until rice is well coated.
Immediately scrape into greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan, pressing to smooth and level top. Let cool. With greased knife, cut into bars. (Make-ahead: Store individually wrapped bars in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)