"Exercise of the week" - The Lunge
Next to squats, lunges are the next best thing for your butt and thighs. This is also a compound movement so, like squats, when you do them you get more bang for your buck.
- Stand in a split stance with one leg forward and one leg back, holding weights if desire.
- Slowly bend the knees, lowering into a lunge while keeping the front knee and back knee at 90 degree angles.
- Keeping the weight in your heels, push back up to starting position. Focus you weight on the front foot.
- Avoid locking the knees at the top of the movement
- Keep your front knee behind the toe as you lunge (you should be able to look down and see your toe)
- Keep your abs engaged and the torso upright
- Do this exercise 2-3 times per week for 1-3 sets of 8-16 reps.