Exercise of the week: Bicycle Crunch Exercise came in at the top of the list of best exercises for the rectus abdominus. This is the conclusion of a study at San Diego State University that compared 13 common abdominal exercises in order to find which ones really strengthen the abs. Each exercise was ranked for muscle stimulation (measured with EMG) in the rectus abdominis, the external obliques and internal obliques.
How to do the Bicycle Crunch Exercise
- Lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground.
- Put your hands beside your head.
- Bring your knees up to about a 45-degree angle and slowly go through a bicycle pedal motion.
- Touch your left elbow to your right knee, then your right elbow to your left knee.
- Breath evenly throughout the exercise.