Exercise of the Week - Dumbell Pullover
This exercise targets both the lats on either side of the back as well as the lower body and core, since you're holding yourself in a bridge position. The exercise is shown using an exercise ball but can be done on a bench or step for more stability.
- Lie face up on the ball with the head and shoulders supported, weight resting over the chest.
- Keep the glutes contracted to lift the body into a bridge position, making a straight line from knees to head.
- Take the weight straight up over the chest, arms slightly bent. You can hold a dumbbell on either side or use a medicine ball.
- Keeping the body tight and stable, slowly lower the weight behind you, keeping the elbows slightly bent.
- Only lower the weight as far as your flexibility allows and try not to lower the weight below your head.
- Contract the back muscles to pull the weight back up over the chest and complete 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps