Mint Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Makes about 60 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes or less Total time: 45 minutes or less
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon mint extract
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips or finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, securing the edges with tape.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add cocoa powder and beat until the mixture becomes glossy. Add mint extract. Gently fold in chips.
- Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a ½- or ¾-inch tip. Pipe 1-inch rounds onto the parchment, leaving 1 to 2 inches between cookies. With damp fingertips, press down any peaks. If a pastry bag isn’t available, spoon mixture into a zip-top bag and snip a ½-inch hole in the bottom corner of the bag. Batter can also be dropped with a tablespoon onto the parchment.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Place baking sheets on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before peeling cookies off the parchment.