Recipe of the Week: Cumin-Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa - The superb flavor you get from toasting and grinding cumin seeds is well worth the little bit of effort.
Cumin-Spiced Fish Tacos with Avocado-Mango Salsa
The superb flavor you get from toasting and grinding cumin seeds is well worth the little bit of effort. Clean the grinder to remove flavors that could permeate the next item ground. Wipe the grinder clean with a soft cloth, add a few tablespoons of uncooked white rice, and grind until rice turns into powder; repeat until the ground rice comes out white.
Hands On: 23 Minutes Total: 23 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 tacos)
· 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
· 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
· 1/2 teaspoon paprika
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 pound tilapia fillets
· 1 tablespoon canola oil
· 1 cup sliced peeled avocado
· 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled ripe mango
· 1/4 cup chopped green onions
· 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
· 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
· 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
· 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
· 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1. 1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook 2 minutes or until toasted, shaking pan frequently. Place cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, paprika, and black pepper in a spice grinder; process until finely ground. Combine cumin mixture and garlic; rub over fish. Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add fish; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat; keep warm.
2. 2. Combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, avocado, and next 6 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon red pepper). Stir in jalapeño, if desired.
3. 3. Heat tortillas according to package instructions. Break fish into pieces; divide evenly among tortillas. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons salsa. Fold tortillas in half; serve immediately.
Amount per serving