Simplified Salad Niçoise
Serves: 4 people Total time: 25 minutes
· 4 eggs
· 1/2 lb green beans, rinsed and ends trimmed
· 4 redskin potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
· 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
· 1 tsp Dijon mustard
· 1 tsp 100% anchovy paste
· 1 small clove garlic, minced
· 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 lb romaine lettuce, rinsed, patted dry, ends trimmed, ribs removed
· 10 oz tuna, canned or pouched in water
1. Hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Set on stove over high heat. As soon as water begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and cook for 10 minutes. Promptly remove from stove and run cold tap water into t he pot, tilting t he pot to pour out the hot water as you gradually replace it with cold water. Let eggs sit in cold water while you prepare the rest of the salad.
2. Fill another medium pot one-third full with water and set to boil over high heat. When water comes to a boil, add beans and potatoes. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until the tip of a knife easily pierces potatoes. Drain and set aside to cool.
3. Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine vinegar, 1 tbsp water, Dijon, anchovy paste and garlic. Whisk together until smooth, then gradually whisk in oil.
4. Chop beans into 1-inch lengths. Peel eggs and cut into quarters. Coarsely chop romaine.
5. Combine beans, potatoes, eggs, romaine and tuna in a large mixing bowl, then toss with Salad Niçoise with dressing.
Nutrients per serving (2 1/2 oz tuna, 1 egg, 10 oz vegetables, 1 tbsp dressing): Calories: 340, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Omega-3s: 419 mg, Omega-6s: 1,869 mg, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 28 g, Sodium: 377 mg, Cholesterol: 229 mg