Crab Cakes with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 12 fresh chives, cut into 3- or 4-inch lengths
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 2/3 cup plain reduced-fat yogurt (NOTE: Opt for regular yogurt, as the Greek variety is too thick for this particular dish)
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb cooked lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 1/3 cups whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp sunflower or safflower oil
- 8 large butter lettuce leaves
- In a food processor, puree chives, cucumber and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, crab, panko, bell pepper and salt. Stir in egg whites. Using damp hands, shape mixture into 8 cakes, each about 3/4-inch thick, arranging cakes on the back of a baking sheet.
- In each of two medium nonstick skillets on medium, heat 1 tbsp oil. Carefully slide cakes off a baking sheet and into skillets, 4 per skillet. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Divide lettuce among plates. Divide cakes among leaves and top each with about 2 tbsp sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutrients per serving (2 crab cakes, 1/4 cup cucumber sauce, 2 lettuce leaves): Calories: 327, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 36 g, Sodium: 576 mg, Cholesterol: 83 mg