Freekeh, a supergrain that's relatively new to supermarkets, takes about the same time to cook as brown rice.
- Prep time 20 Minutes
- Total time 50 Minutes
- Portion size 4 Servings
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each sweet paprika, and ground coriander
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) freekeh
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped, stemmed Swiss chard
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped, toasted slivered almonds
In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, parsley, mint, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper; set aside.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook freekeh for 40 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard; cook until freekeh is tender and Swiss chard is wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain well in fine-mesh sieve; let cool slightly. Add to dressing; toss to coat.
Stir in avocado and half each of the feta cheese and almonds; sprinkle with remaining feta cheese and almonds.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: To speed up your prep, cook the freekeh the night before and refrigerate it so it's ready to toss with the rest of the ingredients when you get home.