The crunchy exteriors and tender, greenflecked centres make these cakes a tasty way to get your daily dose of healthful greens. If you have time in the morning, prep, shape and refrigerate the cakes— they'll be ready to fry for a nearly instant dinner when you get home.
- Prep time 35 minutes
- Total time 35 Minutes
- Portion size 4 Servings
- 675 g yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 4 cups (1 L) packed finely chopped kale
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
Paprika Lemon Mayo:
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika
Paprika Lemon Mayo: Stir together mayonnaise, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and paprika; set aside.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes and garlic, adding kale during last 3 minutes of cooking, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Drain and return to pot; cook, shaking pan occasionally, over low heat until dry, about 2 minutes.
Using potato masher, mash gently until almost smooth with a few small chunks remaining. Stir in bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese, egg, green onions, mustard, salt and pepper.
In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; using 1/3 cup for each cake, drop half of the potato mixture into pan, pressing to make 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds. Cook, turning once, until crisp and golden, about 6 minutes. Keep finished cakes warm; repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture. Serve cakes with mayo.